GAME DAY QUICK FACTS
The Teams: Holy Cross (3-12) vs. Central Connecticut (1-2)
Date: Tuesday, March 10, 2015
Time: 3:30 p.m.
Place: New Britain, Conn. (CCSU Baseball Field)
Series Record: Central Connecticut leads, 11-7
Last Meeting: at Holy Cross on April 8, 2014 (6-4, CCSU) | Recap | Box Score
Friday, March 6 | Western Carolina 7, Holy Cross 5 | Cullowhee, N.C. | Recap | Box Score
Saturday, March 7 (GM1) | Western Carolina 22, Holy Cross 11 | Cullowhee, N.C. | Recap | Box Score
Saturday, March 7 (GM2) | Holy Cross 9, Western Carolina 3 | Cullowhee, N.C. | Recap | Box Score
Sunday, March 8 | Western Carolina 3, Holy Cross 1 | Cullowhee, N.C. | Recap | Box Score
WORCESTER, Mass – The Holy Cross baseball team returns to the Northeast, as it travels to New Britain, Conn. to take on Central Connecticut at 3:30 p.m. at CCSU Baseball Field. First pitch is slated for 3:30 p.m. The Crusaders are coming off a 3-1 series loss to Western Carolina from March 6-8. Holy Cross enters Tuesday’s contest with a 3-12 overall record.
SCOUTING THE BLUE DEVILS
- Central Connecticut enters the contest with a 1-2 overall record, as it dropped two games to Northeastern and defeated Brown.
- The Blue Devils were tabbed fourth of seven teams in the 2015 Northeast Conference Preseason Coaches’ Poll, after they finished the 2014 season with a 27-22 overall record and 14-10 in the conference.
- Central Connecticut has four starters hitting over .300 in Dean Lockery (.385), Franklin Jennings (.375), Ian Glassman (.333) and Dominic Severino (.333).
- The Blue Devils and Crusaders met last season on April 8, 2014 in Worcester, with Central Connecticut earning the 6-4 victory. The Blue Devils are 11-7 all-time against the Crusaders in games dating back to 2001.
O’NEILL EARNS SECOND PATRIOT LEAGUE WEEKLY AWARD
- Holy Cross freshman infielder Cam O’Neill (Lynn, Mass.) was named the Corvias Patriot League Baseball Rookie of the Week, as announced by the league for competition from March 2-8. This marks the second time O’Neill has won Rookie of the Week accolades, as he was also selected on Feb. 23.
- O’Neill hit .333 (10-for-30) with a home run, six RBIs and three runs scored in eight games for the Crusaders last week. He had a pair of three-hit performances as well as a pair of two-RBI games, while he also went 2-for-4 with a run scored in a 9-3 win over Western Carolina on Saturday. O’Neill hit his first career home run in a 5-4 loss to Gardner-Webb on Tuesday.
- He leads Holy Cross and ranks seventh in the Patriot League with a .393 batting average (22-for-56) on the season.
OCELLO CLIMBING RECORD BOOKS
- Holy Cross senior captain Evan Ocello (Camarillo, Calif.) is making his mark in the Holy Cross career record book.
- Ocello ranks second all-time in Holy Cross history with 115 runs scored and 51 stolen bases. He is 20 runs away from tying for first place, while he is two stolen bases shy of a tie for the top spot.
- He also stands seventh all-time on the career hits list, with 173 as a Crusader. He is one hit shy of sixth and three hits away from fifth place.
- In Sunday’s game at Western Carolina, Ocello moved into 10th place on the Holy Cross career games played list with 161. He is also one start away from 10th place on the all-time games stared list.
HOLY CROSS OFFENSIVE LEADERS
- Several Holy Cross players are off to good starts this season at the plate. Freshman Cam O’Neill ranks first on the team with a .393 batting average and a team-high 22 hits.
- Senior Evan Ocello ranks second on the squad with a .323 average and leads Holy Cross with 16 runs scored and six stolen bases. He also holds a 12-game hitting streak, dating back to Feb. 20 versus Richmond.
- Sophomore Anthony Critelli (Holmdel, N.J.) ranks third on Holy Cross with a .317 batting average, while he leads the team with six doubles and 13 RBIs.
- Senior Jack St. Clair (Newton, Mass.) is hitting .300 this season and is tied with Critelli with 13 RBIs.
- Holy Cross returns to action on Saturday and Sunday, March 14-15, when it travels to St. John’s for a three-game series. A 12:00 p.m. doubleheader is scheduled for Saturday, while a 1:00 p.m. contest will wrap up the series on Sunday.
FOLLOW THE CRUSADERS