Daniel Chavez, Jr. withdraws for State Assembly run

OXNARD, CA – In August 2017, I had announced my intention to run for state assembly. It was my intention to represent our communities, improve the quality of life and ensure we have a bright future. As we ended 2017, I saw our city have a total of 14 homicides, another spill from our wastewater facility, the continuous increase of homelessness and crumbling infrastructure.

We continue to see a drop in confidence from fellow residents towards our city government and elected officials. It has become clearer that so many of our neighboring cities look at Oxnard and shake their heads. Oxnard as the largest city should ALWAYS be a leader and it hasn’t for a number of years. Just like the State of California, the city of Oxnard has focused its attention on the wrong issues and continued to dig a hole for future generations.

Although my desire was to represent our city and the surrounding communities on the state level, I must remember my first priority is to my family and fellow community members. I will continue to be vocal within our community and work towards building the community we deserve, a community that is safe, a community that is prosperous and most importantly a community that has a bright future.

This is why I have decided not to continue my campaign for state assembly and instead I will focus my time and efforts on my community that I have called home for 28 years and the community that my children call home. I will continue to work with local community leaders, city staff, and organizations and develop plans that I will be able to present to address our city’s critical issues. These plans would ensure a new path towards a bright future for Oxnard and discontinue the whim and personal ambitions of council decisions.

Our residents deserve better and so do our future Oxnardians. It may have been a shock to many when they heard I was running for state assembly, but it did not mean I forgot about OUR community. I wanted better for Oxnard, California and future generations coming to the Golden State. But I realize that the biggest impact that I can have for our families is to serve and represent them on the Oxnard City Council. I am officially ending my Assembly intention and will at this time announce my candidacy for the Oxnard City Council.

My priorities will not change and I will continue to promote a safe, healthy and bright future in Oxnard. I appreciate all the support that I have gotten and ask that you continue to stand by me as WE work towards creating A New Path for Oxnard. Our day will come when we have the city WE truly deserve and end the personal ambitions of the council. The priority should and always be Oxnard FIRST!

Get Citizensjournal.us Headlines free  SUBSCRIPTION. Keep us publishing –DONATE

20 Responses to Daniel Chavez, Jr. withdraws for State Assembly run

1. Deborah Baber-Savalla January 13, 2018 at 6:54 am

I have known Daniel Chavez for about a year. During this time I watched him speak passionately and eloquently at Oxnard City Council meetings. When Mr. Chavez announced his candidacy for State Assembly, I watched his debate performance from the 2016 election cycle.

Daniel Chavez is a good and wise man. He’s also NOT part of the political establishment. Oxnard will be lucky to have him on the Council…and I who live in neighboring Port Hueneme and daily experience Oxnard’s exceedingly poor infrastructure will be grateful for his work to remedy the myriad problems.

I have been active in the Oxnard City Council Recall including canvassing door-to-door for signatures. I was taken aback at the intensity of Oxnard residents’ complaints about the City Council’s poor, damaging governance. Signatures on the recall petitions were not difficult to get.

The upcoming recall election is a unique opportunity for Mr. Chavez to show his mettle and capacity to govern. He is also young with many years ahead and may yet find political homes in Sacramento and Washington, D.C. I welcome his candidacy at all levels.

As Tip O’Neil famously said: “All politics is local!” Run, Daniel, run… with my thanks!

• Will Trihn January 13, 2018 at 7:57 am

CR…We are all being played like a game of checkers or chess…

2. Will Trihn January 12, 2018 at 7:23 pm

Is there a possibility that an Asian person from Oxnard may run for office….we need diversity…from as many cultures as feasible.

3. Tomas Gonzalez January 12, 2018 at 7:20 pm

I don’t consider saying we need brown person in office to be racist. I see it as an opinion. Racist is our president.

4. Lindsay Amezcua January 12, 2018 at 5:18 pm

For goodness sake….he had an epiphany…geez…

5. Javier Lopez January 12, 2018 at 4:45 pm

Mr. Chavez,

We need a Latino to represent Assembly District 44. It’s too bad that another person has disuaded you from your original course.

• Daniel Chavez, Jr January 12, 2018 at 10:17 pm

I don’t allow my ethnicity to define me. I allow my character to speak for me. I have been active in Oxnard for the past couple of years because I care about my city. I wanted to take that same passion for change to the state, but with my city continuing its path down the tubes. I couldn’t just stand by and allow it. Oxnard is my home and has been my whole life. Not one person will ever control me or distract me from my goal. My first priority is to my family and community. The state will just have to wait, but I will continue to fight for change and present my plans to address the critical issues in Oxnard.

6. Frank Vasquez January 12, 2018 at 11:49 am

Mr. Chavez,

You clearly are not ready to run for office if you can’t ascertain outright if you should serve at the state or local level. This is a sign of a person who is indecisive and lacks confidence. Not a great way to consider running for office. Not sure who made you change your mind, but it is obvious someone is steering you away from running for State office.

Hasta la Vista amigo! Oxnard needs council members who are confident and can make decisions….not someone who is wish washy….

• Citizen Reporter January 12, 2018 at 4:27 pm

Or maybe it’s possible that Mr. Chavez sees an opportunity in the upcoming Oxnard special election? Is he playing chess while others are playing checkers?

• John Alamillo January 12, 2018 at 4:36 pm

Opportunity exists at both levels. Only Mr. Chavez can answer your question of whether he is playing chess or if others are playing checkers. If he thinks his last name will carry him to victory, he better think twice. Oxnard needs someone with government and leadership experience. Let’s see a resume. Anyone can say what they want to do, but tell us how you’ll make things happen.

• Citizen Reporter January 12, 2018 at 5:09 pm

Mr. Chavez is quite intelligent and disciplined. We witnessed him systematically becoming familiar with the issues and articulating on them.

As far as sentiments that “we need a Latino”- flat out racist.

• Lindsay Amezcua January 12, 2018 at 5:16 pm

I believe intelligence is imperative, but this young man may need experience. Perhaps he should consider serving on city committees to better prepare himself for big and complicated issues he’ll have to face as a council person.

Good luck!

• Terry January 14, 2018 at 10:22 am

Mr. Chavez ran for mayor of Oxnard. Then he quit and ran for City Council and lost by a big margin. Then he magically repositioned himself a Republican and decided to run for state office. He dropped out of that to run for City Council again when that opened up.

Hmm. Doesn’t sound disciplined to me.

Now, intelligent? If you can figure out what this guy stands for, then you must be very intelligent, because no one else in town can figure out!

• Daniel Chavez, Jr January 12, 2018 at 10:12 pm

It is clear you have NO idea who I am or what I have been doing within our Oxnard. I don’t allow my name to define me or would I ever believe that my name will carry me to any position. I wished you made those same comments about our current council and maybe we wouldn’t be in our current position. We have an increase of homelessness and 3 of the 5 have been there for a number of terms. I am working with staff and developing my plans. That is WAY more then I can say about the current city council. It’s easy to troll and be behind a keyboard. What have you done for Oxnard? I’ve been active and I guess missed you.

• Will Trihn January 13, 2018 at 5:50 am

Not very diplomatic are you. A man with character doesn’t need to point fingers. If Mr. Chavez states he is working with staff on plans…. what plans….how Will he accomplish what he say he’ll do… like one person stated, explain how you will morph the City…how will you secure funding for your goals and how will you coalesce and work with the people….

Thank You for your feedback.

• Matt Tobias January 13, 2018 at 2:14 pm

Apparently, it appears you have not done much considering your own statement “Oxnard is in horrible shape and needs help.” Had you done something, you wouldn’t have to say that. Just saying….

• Daniel Chavez, Jr. January 12, 2018 at 10:04 pm

It is clear that you didn’t read my statement. It is also clear that you are out of touch with Oxnard. Allow me to educate you on what I’ve done because I don’t play politics or plan too. I have been active in my community and been a voice for those in Oxnard that are ignored. Oxnard is in horrible shape and needs help. The current council has been as you call it “wishy washy”. Instead pf trolling on social media step up! I had enough courage and confidence to be in the public’s view. What have you done?

• Will Trihn January 13, 2018 at 2:03 pm

You Jedi, when you run for office, that’s exactly what you are doing “playing politics” …

• Will Trihn January 13, 2018 at 2:09 pm

It’s absurd that you would respond to a potential constituent the way you have…”what have you done” well, let’s see, I’ve paid my taxes so that people like you who promise to do things they say they’ll do will actually do it, but instead once elected forget about the taxpayers…

• Daniel Chavez, Jr. January 14, 2018 at 10:04 am

I will agree with you Will. I am not very diplomatic. I am simply frustrated with the way things have been going in our city. Just like many of our residents have expressed multiple times. I am once again visiting the neighborhood council meetings to speak and listen to residents.

Matt, I have worked with the city staff to improve the crosswalks on Hemlock street and addressed multiple streets within Oxnard that was expected to be increased to between 40-45 mph. These streets went by schools and parks. An increase to these streets would have resulted in children and adults being hit. I am sure we can all agree that many don’t drive the speed limit and do whatever they want with little regard to others. I also introduced to staff what LA is currently testing known as Rumble Strips. This would be an alternative to Speed Bumps throughout the city.

I simply bring my ideas to staff and we work out the details. I have been working on a way to address homelessness in Oxnard with little to no impact to neighborhoods. Funding would come from our current sources from HUD, county and grants.

I am also working to develop a way to generate revenue WITHOUT creating new taxes that will go towards repairing many of our streets. One plan will generate roughly around 1 million dollars annually without new taxes.

Do I have all the answers? No, but I will bring forward what I believe to be common sense ideas to address Oxnard’s issues. Once elected I want to visit with the neighborhoods and get their feedback on Oxnard. I will then take that to staff and truly create a strategic plan to accomplish their concerns. Staff have told me that our city doesn’t have a strategic plan to address any of our challenges.

I want to represent our city because I know we can do a lot better! I spoken with a few about the district election process and so many were unaware of it going on. Communication with the community needs to be improved from what it is now. A small fund needs to be established that will pay for an annual or biannual information pamphlet that will show residents what the city has accomplished, what is currently being worked on and what will be addressed in the coming months.

I don’t have all the answers, but with enough residents working with me on the issues. We can address and correct them.