Report: Power lines sparked massive Southern California fire (Thomas Fire)

By CHRISTOPHER WEBER | Associated Press

One of the largest fires in California history was sparked by Southern California Edison power lines that came into contact during high winds, investigators said Wednesday.

The resulting arc ignited dry brush on Dec. 4, 2017, starting the blaze in Ventura and Santa Barbara counties that resulted in two deaths and blackened more than 440 square miles (1,139 square kilometers), according to the investigation headed by the Ventura County Fire Department.

The arc “deposited hot, burning or molten material onto the ground, in a receptive fuel bed, causing the fire,” said a statement accompanying the investigative report.

Southern California Edison didn’t immediately return a call seeking comment.

The fire destroyed more than 1,000 structures before it was contained 40 days after it began near the city of Santa Paula. A firefighter and a civilian were killed.

Read the rest of the story on Fox News

Thomas Fire, Photograph by David Pu’u


Get Citizensjournal.us Headlines free  SUBSCRIPTION. Keep us publishing – DONATE

One Response to Report: Power lines sparked massive Southern California fire (Thomas Fire)

  1. BruceBoyerforsheriff March 18, 2019 at 2:09 pm

    Except that SCE has data that shows the fire had already started BEFORE they had a line fauilure; therefore the fire did not start from their equipment the fire burned their equipment….
    The initial fire should not have spread; it spread and did the dame it did through no fault of SCE

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *